Wednesday, February 07, 2007
Sydney Shapes (or - what on EARTH have I been doing with my time, hmm?)
There have, as some of you have pointed out to me, been many days since my last post.

So what have I been up to, one wonders?

Well, as mothers of small children everywhere do, I have been looking at shapes.

And since pictures say - well - more than a lot of words, here are some of the shapes I looked at on a day recently in one of Sydney's oldest bits, lovingly known by us lucky Sydneysiders as "The Rocks". I've been thinking about these shapes ever since.


Spiral


Globe


Curl


Column


Floret


Triangles


Circles and arcs


Rectangles (and old seaman, don't you love that people used to care?)


Criss-cross, or is it zig-zag?


Fan


Arches


Hard to say: Jorn Utzon thought they were orange segments


Ripples and grids


Plinth; or, possibly, Profile


Cylinders


Squares (left corner, building)


More words next time, perhaps.

mtc
Bec

Labels:



18 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Looks like it has been fun!

Blogger meggie said...

Very interesting.
Thanks for sharing.

Blogger Lynne@Oberon said...

Everyday I keep forgetting to bring my camera to work! There are some fabulous things to photograph down here at Walsh Bay. Your photos are excellent and shapely ;)

Blogger Scribbit said...

Yes, I can see orange segments. And I love the word "plinth" it just doesn't come up in my conversation near enough.

Blogger Em said...

You make me want to go to Sydney again. I'm overdue a visit :)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never said a word about your (prolonged) absence.

Blogger sara said...

SO glad to read you again!

Absence does, indeed, make the heart grow fonder.

We visited The Rocks during our time in AU and we were likely the quintessential American tourists. But we loved it.

Wish we were there now.

Blogger MsCellania said...

Thanks for the photo essay.
Well worth the wait you are my dear. (Said in my best Yoda voice)

Blogger Joke said...

Nice way to oil out of writing too much! ;-)

-J.

Blogger Jane Henry said...

Hi Bec,

Nice to have you back. And love the pics.

Seems very weird looking at pics of the sunshine when here it has been snowing.

In fact it has been snowing so hard the country has come to a standstill. We are utterly crap in the UK when the white stuff falls out of the sky. My theory is it happens so rarely, everyone just wants to skive off work and enjoy it.

Have blogged very badtemperedly about the fact the kids didn't go in today, but I did get some nice pics of my own out of it!

Janex

Blogger My float said...

Lovely photos. It just reminds me that I need to stop and look around.

Blogger Muzbot said...

Great pics Bec. But damn, just when I was feeling like I was on holiday, I see your post and it reminds me of work. bugger.

Blogger nutmeg said...

I saw a few comments about the place and thought you may be "back". Joke doesn't let you get away with much does he?

I'll take pictures over absence anyday :-) And very good pictures they are.

Blogger Suse said...

Orange segments, eh?

I always saw them as a turtle orgy.

Blogger Bec said...

You have a dirty, dirty mind, Suse, and I hope all your wholesome crafty blogger friends know about it.

Blogger Blue Moon Girl said...

Lovely pictures! It's so nice to see so much warmth and sunshine! I love, love, love to see pictures of places that I have never been.

Blogger ewe are here said...

Very nice shapes.
I've always wanted to visit.

Anonymous Tuxedo said...

Brave soldiers like King arthur.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer